Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Begin With YOUR End in Mind

Joshua D. Hollers 
1977-2014
(not really, I'm still here ")
World's Absolute GREATEST Dad
Amazing Husband, Passionate Lover
Brother, Patriot, Student of Life
BEST of Friends to Many
Loved by All
EPIC Catalyst for Positive Change
LIGHT, SALT, and FIRE
The World Will Not Be The Same Without Him!


How do you want to be remembered? What will be captioned on your tombstone when you're gone? For me, when someone mentions me after I've purchased the farm, I want stories to be told, laughter, jokes, and awesome memories to come to mind! 

When everyone is back at the house eating mystery meat and potato salad, drinking coffee and punch (and whatever is in them, who knows?!), and everyone is exchanging old stories about me, I want them to say, "Oh yeah! Remember that time that we....and we all laughed so hard! It was awesome!" Or maybe, "...and we were so impressed by him that we...". Or how about, "..and I was never the same again because of what he did. I was so glad to know Joshua Hollers. He lived his life to the full." 

Now, maybe I can be a little conceited on this side of the dirt, but God willing I'll have at least a couple people there swapping stories about me, for good or bad. And maybe I can't control what happens on the "party-side" of my passing, but I know I can dang sure control what I do from here on out that influences, changes, motivates, and inspires the people that I come in contact with and touch.

That's where crating a goal comes in. Yeah, another 4-letter word to some people, I know. BUT-this one time is incredibly easy, because it's what you want to be remembered by most. So, what matters most to you? What will you want someone who sees your tombstone to stop in their tracks and see? Will what they see make them wish they had known you? Will they say to themselves, "Wow. What an epic life!"

Begin with your end in mind, and go from there. Stop and think about what you are making important during the course of your days and weeks, and see if it is advancing what you actually hold fast to and want to complete before you die. Do they line up? Do they agree with one another? Is what you are filling your days with part of what you truly want others to remember you by once the last grain of sand has fallen, and it's your time to meet your maker? Mine wasn't. Not even close. Ergo, the words on the page you are reading now.

I want to be remembered as one who tried to light the flames of motivation, desire, and passion for living in others. I want to be the earthquake that shakes you back into focus, and the example to follow. I'm not saying I'm perfect, far from it. But, I'm trying. 

So write out a few things that you might want to see on your tombstone. Get over the fact that you think it's weird and stop being superstitious. Get comfortable with it, because it's not up to you when it happens. That said, it's a blank canvas (stone really) for what you want the world to see. Get serious about what happens now, and do what you want to be remembered by when your time on Earth is up. 

I hope there's a massive party down here on Earth when mine is. You bet your assets I'll be doing the same up above the Cosmos when I make it up there!


Blessings!

-Joshua D. Hollers



No comments:

Post a Comment